I often get asked : “How do you blur the text on your Instagram photos?”
Since it’s something many of you would like to know I've decided to explain how you can do the same here.
I write daily entries about my day, so documenting each day (if I can) means many personal entries. If you follow me on Instagram know than you know I post each day at least one photo of my journal, so I like to blur the text in my entries. I know that some of you like to read my pages, so for those of you who are curious and read them I’m sorry that you can’t anymore. 😀
How to Blur the Text :
1. First I take a photo with my iPhone, then download it onto my computer then import into Lightroom. If you don’t have this software you can try it for free for a week I believe. If not, there’s a program called “Gimps” which I think is similar.
2. Once imported into Lightroom, click the “Develop” section.
3. After, I use the “Adjustment Brush” and set its settings : the Sharpness to -100, the Feather and Flow to +100. You can also adjust the brush size to you need. Now you can apply it to your writing.
4. If the blurring doesn’t seem to be enough then you can reduce the Clarity, but be careful to not reduce it too much or it can “fade” your text.
5. As a last note you can always repeat the Sharpness Brush by clicking over to “New” and reapply the step until you get the results that you want.
6. When you’re done click “save”, and now you can export your image and it add onto your Instagram.
I have used editing applications from my phone, but I didn’t like the visual effect it created and on Lightroom I feel I have more control on the settings and applying them.
I hope this tutorial was helpful. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask, or if you have any suggestions. 🙂